Wednesday, June 25, 2014

This Week in Shitlordery

Just a quick note: If you are a science fiction writer who was thinking of submitting something to the outfit calling itself OMNI Reboot, perhaps because you have pleasant childhood memories of a magazine named OMNI (or memories of getting beaten up as a nerd in the schoolyard for reading it and taking cold comfort in dreams of future worlds wherein you would rule them all and get your revenge), or whatever your reasons, just don't. Unless you're the sort of person (*ahem* scab *ahem*) who submits to non-paying publications. Because despite what it says on their Duotrope listing, they sent me a non-paying contract this week (which I rejected forthwith).

Honestly, this isn't even the worst shitlordery I've seen in the publishing world, just a variety that I feel safe in calling out.

Edited to add, 6/26/2014 at 6:24 p.m.: I got the following update from Duotrope: "We have been in direct contact with the editor, and their policy is that they pay sometimes, depending on the author's experience. As such, we have edited the listing to reflect that the market pays occasionally."

I'm glad Duotrope has updated the listing. As far as I'm concerned, this is almost worse on OMNI Reboot's part: "Fuck you, beginning authors. We'll take your stuff for free."

As a matter of policy, I never submit to "pays occasionally" publications, either.

1 comment:

  1. Hi - would you be willing to contact me at er at sfwa dot org? I have a question regarding this post.

    ReplyDelete