Monday, August 18, 2014

Shameless Self-Promotion, and Some Props for Others

My story "Bonfires in Anacostia" has been getting some critical attention:

Part of me wonders if some of the interest and traffic has been driven by the recent events in Ferguson, Missouri. Would I rather that Michael Brown had lived and my story sank like a stone? Of course. All respect due to those in the streets demanding justice.

In other news, a story of mine is now in print:

That is the first page of "Thirty-Eight Observations on the Nature of the Self," from my contributor's copy of Phantasm Japan.

In some ways this feels more real than my other publications, because I am old enough that I am still more habituated to reading ink on paper than pixels on screens. Now I need to figure out how to keep it out of my kids' hands until they're each well into their teens.

A final note: If one is ever in danger of getting a swelled head about one's writing, the cure is to read Thunderstruck & Other Stories by Elizabeth McCracken. In particular, the first story in the collection, entitled "Something Amazing," which is indeed something amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment